HR3348 & HR1956 - Support Letter
US House bill # HR 3348, SOS: Sustaining Outpatient Services Act: This bill will exempt certain hospital outpatient services, including cardiac, intensive cardiac, and pulmonary rehabilitation (CR, ICR, PR) from a drastic reimbursement reduction that is based solely on the location of the hospital outpatient service. The Sustaining Outpatient Services Act mandates that Medicare payment for hospital-based CR/ICR/PR services remain under the outpatient payment rate. The 40% reduction in reimbursement for off-campus CR/ICR/PR is unsustainable, and yet, these services are underutilized and are encouraged to expand to treat more beneficiaries than is physically possible. This legislative correction will remove the financial barrier to expanded patient access to these beneficial services.
US House bill # HR 1956, Increasing Access to Cardiac Rehabilitation Care Act of 2022: This bill simply moves up the effective date of when nonphysician practitioners (NPPs or APPs) are eligible to independently order and supervise cardiac, intensive cardiac, and pulmonary rehabilitation services. The effective date is currently January 1, 2024. This bill, if passed, will move that effective date up to 2022.
Obviously, HR 3348 and HR 1956 are synergistic. Programs are currently at capacity with excessively long waiting lists to even begin CR, ICR, or PR. With this bill, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation services will be able to improve access and meet the increasing demand for these beneficial treatments.
Please support cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation services and patients by signing these bills today. Thank you for caring.
Take Steps to Advocate
Contact Your U.S. Representatives with a Customizable Letter
Want to help? It’s not too late to join fellow practitioners in your state to advocate for CR, ICR, and PR services. Please ask for support (i.e., signature on both bills) of HR 3348 and HR 1956. AACVPR has made it easy. Anyone, including rehab staff members, physicians, hospital administrators, and grateful patients can be an advocate for CR and PR services. Use the below pre-drafted, customizable letters to contact your U.S. House representative and advocate for bills above. Just 5 minutes and one letter could make a huge difference! Show your support for the life-changing effects of CR/ICR/PR and click on one of the buttons below to start your letter.
Send a Letter
Converse With Your U.S. Representatives Over the Phone
A brief phone call to your US Representative’s DC office is also very powerful to express your support for HR 3348 and HR 1956.
It is a very simple message:
- Share your name, where you live and where you work
- Ask for support of these two bills
- HR 3348 to allow adequate reimbursement for ALL cardiac and pulmonary rehab programs, whether on or off campus,
- HR 1956 to increase access to cardiac and pulmonary rehab programs by allowing non-physician practitioners to order and supervise these services.
- Explain why both bills are important to you
- HR 1956 increases access to medically directed, life-saving cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation programs by reducing delay to enrollment and allowing professional practitioners to order and supervise these services. The Access to Quality Cardiac Rehabilitation Care Act simply moves up the enactment date from 2024 so people can get started with the life-saving treatment they need now.
- HR3348 will allow program locations that are more accessible to patients and offer larger capacity to provide these services to more patients
|The Take Action Campaign is supported by